Search for cool stuff!

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

I am living with a killer...

Recently, a new addition has been brought into the house.



















Meet SeaFoam. Isn't it cute?😸 SeaFoam is a giant water bug, measuring 2.5 inches long. I found it at the beach upside down and wounded. The reason I say it instead of him or her is that I haven't found out the gender yet. It apparently has one of the most painful bites ever. Yeah. Why do i have this thing... 😹 So anyway, I hope you like venom!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, and did i mention that it flies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need a story about a mutant water bug that attacks the city....or a horde of them that have a collective mind....good post

      Delete
  2. Belostomids can be nasty. They carry their eggs on their back and are really alien looking things. When it was "injured", it might have been actually playing dead while secreting a fluid from their anus. Pretty gross, huh? They are often eaten in Thailand, and are big enough to be filleted, even. They themselves are known to eat small turtles, snakes, and birds. Interesting how you found them on the beach, as they are strictly freshwater hemipterans. Someone could have mistakenly thought it was a saltwater creature as opposed to freshwater, and moved it over in hopes of saving it. As for the bites, they are rated a four on the Schmidt bite/sting pain index, apparently, which I find weird because i thought the Schmidt bite/sting pain index was only for hymentopterans. Sorry for this lecture... -Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it got washed downstream from a river and landed in the ocean. Also, my sister Ellwyn saved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It died from it's injuries... :(

    ReplyDelete